Thursday, June 21, 2007

Not what I expected...

Sometime last week, in the midst of 'mourning' the demise of my 2 email addresses, I received a all from a customer satisfaction survey company. The lady mentioned some strange name, and I just said "oh!", "oh!" and "Ok". It seem that some radio company wanted to do a survey on radio listeners' choice of music and I was one of those names picked. They invited me to a hotel in mid-valley for a session. Well, since I had time on my hands, why not. So, there I was on the 5th floor surrounded by a bunch of mixed lot and total strangers. Well, to me, at least.

I was told to register at one of the several counters they had set up. Now, luck seem to be on my side that day. For all the counters seem busy except for one. And wow! Was the girl there a real beauty! Since I was feeling quite in the mood that day, I decided to be zanny, and approaced the girl.

Me: "Hi! I was told to register here"

Girl: "Oh hi! Ok. Can I have your name?" (with a smile that was almost a grin).

Me: "Look up for 'Khan', it should be there".

Girl: (After several long seconds of searching) "Khan, you said? I'm sorry, I can't seem to find any".

Me: : "Strange...you sure can't find my name? You must be new at this, aren't you? (And so I begin interviewing her, to which she politely - and I must say rather shyly as well, as she was blushing - refused answering some of the questions. Oh well, at least I tried. Her name, it appears, was Rohaza).

Rohaza: But sir, I still must register you. Any other name you go by?

Me: Hmm...no Khan? How could they...? Try looking at S then - Shah Rir Khan.

Whoa! You should have seen her then! Amidst the blush, she was trying her damn best to control her laugh! I could have fallen in love there and then. In fact, I think I did. But by then, there was already a queue behind me. And ah!....along came her supervisor to assist her and put an end to my quest for happiness. Oh well.

Soon, the staff ushered all the participants into a room, had it locked, and threw away the keys. I'm kidding, off course. But there we were, total strangers, each assigned to a keypad of his own. Hmm...reminds me of the fist day at school in primary one, it did.

Then came this lady, Noraini, by the name. She gave us instructions on how to use the keypads to reply questions they had on the screen upfront. And soon everyone was happily punching in the answers...to questions which three quarter of them had a single clue to what its all about! Honestly! I heard them whispering and giggling their way through. Oh, yours truly included.

Anyway, in between several questions, they threw in some short bursts of music, to which we must rate our preference. Initially they played some mushy songs and malay balad of which I'm not a fan to. Then, they had my head and shoulders shaking and rocking, and fingers tapping! For the group of listeners the radio play to, I was pleasantly surprised when Bernie Marsden, Robert Plant, David Coverdale, Jon Lord (ok, no Jon Lord) were played for us to rate! Its been literally ages since I heard their music! But alas, how cruel they were. Each song was no longer than a 3-second burst. Woe me. I do so enjoy listening to selected rock, blues and jazz.

Anyway, by the end of the session, and as much as we enjoyed it, each of us were sort of disoriented! I mean, an hour worth of music in short burst? They can make one go mad! But, we were suitably rewarded. Everyone was paid RM80 in cash. Not bad for a total of 2 hours sitting. But, it certainly was not what I had expected from a customer satisfaction survey session.

What did I expect? Dunno...

No comments: