Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Politician, I'll Never Be.

Glancing at Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary, the word politician means:

1: a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government

2 a: a person engaged in party politics as a profession b: a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons


I qualify not based on the above. In the same vein, neither do many Malaysians who are not satisfied in the state-of-affairs in Malaysia.

Not thoroughly satisfied with the definition, I searched the word 'politics' from the same site and found 5 major entries, of which 2 list here:

4: the political opinions or sympathies of a person

5 a: the total complex of relations between people living in society
b: relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view


Here, it can be arguably suggested that any person who opines in matters relating to the society he lives in (hablum minan nas), may be construed as a politician. In this sense then, yes, we are all politicians. From the kedai kopi talks on the streets, to the ala kedai kopi blogging community, we are all politicians, for we touch on topics that concerns the society. And the latest tragedy to strike our beloved nation, is the kidnapping of family members of a PDRM officer. Sadly, or rather ironically, this kidnapping was done by a sister organisation of PDRM - the BPR, which leaves me with no words to say. You can read more on this at Zorro and Malaysia Today.

Reflecting back on one of the definitions for the word 'politician': a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons; I believe the people involved in this are none other than the Umno led BN. Otherwise, the BPR would not dare to stoop so low.

A political writer I may never be. But by the same token then, a politician too too, I will never be, insyAllah.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to believe that I am a human being with a heart.

Thanks, as for the songs, I don't rely on links to websites. I used a Peer to Peer (P2P) software. I like Limewire.

Go to www.limewire.com.
Choose basic coz it is free, and download the software. When it is installed, you only need to choose audio and then type either the artis or the name of the song and the rest is done for you. Try it. You can also download videos.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

when i was younger i always thought tht politics were boring stuff. but after learning that politicians were made of jokers, i'd rather go fly a kite or something.

bro, u'll have fun with limewire. with just a keyword, u can get all kind of vids, good, bad, kinky, u name it. all there.

cakapaje said...

Salam Cikgu,

I really appreciate the link. As it is, I'm downloading Chal Chaiya Chaiya from the hindi film, Dil Se. In fact, I think that is the only hindi film I truly like.

I must say though, the song sounds better on the film.

cakapaje said...

Salam Kerp,

You're right about the politicians, and you're certainly right about limewire...I'm dancing to the tunes already :)

cakapaje said...

An added note, it will take sometime for me to recollect my favourite numbers. Right now itself - just after Chal Chaiya Chaiya - I have Lee Ritenour playing. Man, I do so miss good music.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

someone mentioned bob dylan's lay lady lay at cikgu's site. the last time i looked up for it, it took me a while to find it but definitely worth downloading. just a suggestion, bro.

tokasid said...

Salam shah cakapaje:

Yes, all of us are politicians in one way or another.
I read with horror the Nordin Ahmad case.Life is not that safe antmore in Mehsia after all, but its still our home.

Chal Chaiya Chaiya- you should listen the one the made for the movie inside man esp the end credit song, with all those rapping thrown in. My wife downloaded it from limewire.

As for Lee Ritnoeur,no song of his can beat his Rainbow. Maybe I should upload it to Lime or Imeem.

cakapaje said...

Salam Doc,

Wah! Nampaknya we have more things in common now - Chal Chaiya Chaiya and Lee Ritenour. Great, alhamdulillah!

I tried to search for Rainbow but couldn't. Likewise with the Chal Chaiya Chaiya you mentioned.

However, I'm happy enough to find Pink Floyd, Led Zepelin, Davin Sanborne, Hollies, Randy Crawford, and a host of singers I like. Still, not all their songs are there and not all songs can be downloaded. May be, in due time, insyAllah. Thanks Doc, and Cikgu as well as Kerp. Yup, I've already downloaded Lay Lady Lay.