Friday, August 01, 2008

Under The Hood - A Soviet Joke Made Local?

Jokes can be very funny at time, especially if its ethnic jokes made by the people of the same ethnicity. There have been English, Irish, Welsh, Polish, Russian, Indian and even Malay jokes, cracked from time to time, with some leaving you in guffaws - by yourself - and having onlookers thinking you are already off your rockers. I personally have experienced such an incident, which is why now, I prefer not to have reading materials whilst in public places. I certainly would hate - while enjoying a good laugh - to find myself helplessly being carted away to a mental institution. That, would be quite like a scene from an old British sitcom, 'Only When I laugh' - the best jokes it seems, would be to have the laugh on oneself.

Sending my car for some works just now, reminded me of an old Russian joke.

During the time of the Russian Empire of USSR, the citizens wanting to purchase an electronic or electrical item would check on the date the item was made. This was done to avoid to avoid any defective items which the store would sell, regardless the defects, and the non-existent After Sales Service of the manufacturer. The dates the citizens look for are as below along with their rationale:
Early of the Month: The worst manufacturing period. Workers put on a shoddy job just meet their quota of the month.
Middle of the Month: Products are better as workers near completion of their quota.
End of Month: Best manufacturing date! Products are made after completion of quota. Hence, workers put quality finish to their job.

As mentioned, I sent my car to a workshop. Since the car's warranty period has expired, I chose a workshop nearby as from a previous lube-change experience, I found their service to be satisfactory. The work needed for my car was a relatively easy shock-absorber change. Noting I am using a 1.5liter car, the foreman brought out 2 boxes of new shock-absorbers while his charges worked on getting the old pair out. Things looked easy enough when they were dismantling, but soon they faced the problem of getting the absorber into the spring. After about 15 minutes of futile trying, they reported the matter to their superior. And when the superior came to take a look, he soon shook his head - my 1.5liter car came factory fitted with a pair of 1.6liter shock absorbers! Apart from the width of the rod being different, they cost a bit more too - an extra RM60 each!

Now, I don't know if this is standard for Proton cars to be fitted components not meant for the makes, but it does make me feel like being shoved with the soviet joke above. Honestly, why would a 1.5liter car use a 1.6liter component? Anyone?

Jokes aside, Alina gave a link to a beautiful song which I have embedded below. I think the title is Einsamer Hirte, but am unable to confirm it, nor the origin. Looking at the name and the spelling of the song, I think it is from the Balkans; would appreciate anyone giving more info on the song. The song does, sound pretty much like Biddhu's 'Aria', which I am unable to find on the net. And, thanks Alina.

14 comments:

Saya... said...

Hey...we women always like it when we find it is bigger than we imagined or is supposed to be...heh heh...does that make you feel any better??

cakapaje said...

Salam Tehsin,

lol! You naughty, evil, nynph :) Hmm...but it does give one - cakapaje, especially - some thoughts.

Saya... said...

whatever thots you have...don't go the sodomy way...hahahaha

Unknown said...

I am not one to boast but do you know that my Wcar stereo set costs 53 thousand ringgit? Swear I tell you its the honest truth and for that price they gave me a Wira 1.5 Auto Aeroback, free of charge.

cakapaje said...

Tehsin,

Isk isk isk, naughty naught you :)

cakapaje said...

Salam Cikgu,

Your car stereo cost that much? And they give you a free Wira for that? Wow! But hey, then it must be my steering wheel that's costing me 47K! lol! Diamond studded, I tell you :)

Saya... said...

Diamonds? hehe..read this post by Tarings..he is on my roll if you cant link here..cool guy...check out his doctored cartoons...http://tarings-life.blogspot.com/2008/07/all-that-glitters-aint-goldeh.html

Ydiana said...

So what is the verdict? Take the 1.6 shock absorber ke? Mesti lagi banyak shok, ya Tehsin..

cakapaje said...

Salam ydiana,

Isk isk isk. You and Tehsin can sit in one sampan lah after this! ;)

cakapaje said...

Tehsin,

Apologies for the late reply - was in a hurry. Anyway, thanks :)

Anonymous said...

kalau tak salah, einsamir hirte ni lagu orang orang bulgarian. folk song agaknya. muzik yang ceritakan tentang kesedihan rakyatnya. correct if im wrong.

bila saya tau latar belakang cerita ni, baru lah saya tau kenpaa muzik ini sebegini.

cakapaje said...

Salam Alina,

Rasa saya juga asal lagu ini dari kawasan sana namun tidak dapat kepastian. Dan saya tidak dapat pula mencari sejarah lagu ini untuk memberi komen selebihnya. Namun seperti saya nyatakan dalam entry saya, lagu ini mirip lagu yang pernah dimainkan oleh Biddhu Orchestra bertajuk 'Aria'. Kedua lagu ini sayu bunyinya dan menghantui - haunting.

Ydiana said...

Eh...Shah! I cakap pasai keta lah..

cakapaje said...

ydiana,

Oops! Sorry :)